Tuesday, December 22, 2009
I don’t know where you live, but here in Italy scrapbooking products are really expensive… Shipping costs from the USA are even worse so I try to find ways to make my own embellishments, tools and also stamps! Today I’m going to show you two ways you can make your own stamps spending just a few dollars.
The first stamp is like a foam stamp, to do it you will need:
Craft foam by the sheet (you could also use the foam that comes with some mouse pads)
Design, you can draw your own design or print one. Choose a design with no so many details otherwise it will be difficult to cut. If the design isn’t symmetric you will have to reflect the image before you print it.
Wood or polystyrene
1) With a pencil, redraw your design and place the paper with the design side down on your foam
2) rub the pencil marks with your finger to transfer the design
3) Cut the design with scissors or a craft knife.
4) Adhere the stamp on the piece of wood, polystyrene or acetate.
When I started scrapbooking I made two complete alphabets with this technique!
For the other type of stamp you will need:
Carving Block (I search the internet and I saw one called Speedball in pink)
Design (your own or printed, make sure to reflect the image before you print it if needed.)
Scissors or craft knife
Wood or polystyrene
1) With a pencil, redraw your design and place the paper with the design side down on your carving block
2) Rub the pencil marks with your finger to transfer the design
3) Carve around the lines of your design, start with the smaller ones to get into
small areas or for adding details.
4) Use the bigger ones to carve larger areas.
5) Cut the stamp leaving half and inch all around the design.
6) Adhere to the wood or polystyrene with double side tape or another type of adhesive.
7) ink up the stamp and do a trial test. If you’re not satisfied with the results continue carving
I hope you like this two techniques! I would love to see your own stamps! Leave a comment with the link if you make some!
Merry Christmas to all!